Day 8- Compassion
As Claire mentioned in our previous blog post. Today we have split into two groups, the majority of us going to visit the Compassion project at the First Baptist Church, Serem. Josh #2, as I now appear to be known, reporting for duty.
The drive was long, over 2 hours, our driver was playing a worship playlist and so we occupied ourselves joining in worship.
Serem was packed full of people for market day. Sadly (or happily, depending on your point of view), we did not have any time to shop because we had to go straight to the church where we were greeted with a song and dance from the church community. We were introduced to the children and families who are sponsored by members of St James church. There was much rejoicing, and much praising the Lord. We were all given tinsel garlands (itchy), as visitors are honoured with colourful flowers, in place of real flowers they used tinsel.
For those who are unaware, Compassion was not part of our original itinerary, as we were unsure if it would be possible to visit, but praise God that he allowed this visit to happen. The families, and children were blessed purely by our having made the effort to come and see them. One highlight of my day was speaking to one young man who told me the name of his sponsor and I was able to call her and they had a conversation on face time, which was a little overwhelming for him. The other children told me the name of their sponsors, and I was also able to call each of them and let them meet their sponsor over the phone. Thank you to those at home who so quickly dropped what you were doing to speak to your children, they were so blessed by it.
Personally it was a joy to meet my child and his family, he has 3 grandmothers living with him at home who were each full of faith and powerhouses of prayer. I couldn’t understand a word they were praying, but they prayed with such conviction and faith. It was quite emotional praying for his family in their home. In all of his letters, my child calls me Reverend Joshua, I told them to call me Josh “because we are friends.” In turn I was given a shawl from the family which I love and will treasure. I was also given another tinsel garland (double itch), because the family were so grateful for the support. My prayers for my child have been forever changed and I know my letters will be so much better informed also.
Each of the families were blessed with a gift of food and we gave gifts to each of the children who’s sponsors were at home also. One of the families shared with us that the money their sponsor gave them had allowed them to put a roof on their home, another had bought a sheep and a mattress.
On the journey home we received a message from Nairobi Chapel about Philippa, the daughter of Nancy who we mentioned in our Day 3 blog, Philippa was in a very dangerous situation abroad and by what we can only call divine intervention, she has returned safely home today!
Over dinner we caught up with one another and shared some highlights of the day. I think the summary is that we give praise to God for all he is doing, both through IcFEM, and Compassion. One thing I was struck by was how helpless we had felt after the slum visit, but today we were able to see a project in which we were making a difference and we also experienced the way that only God can make a difference.
Praise the Lord! Amen. Praise the Lord again! Amen.
P.S. I also, finally had a Stoney ginger beer which I have been waiting for since we arrived.
It was really wonderful being able to have a video call with my sponsored child even if I wasn't quite sure what to say, hopefully she and all the families know that we care. Thank you for making this possible and to Josh L for interpreting.
ReplyDelete